We all know penetration testing is important to ensure the security of our systems. But how do you find the right penetration testing provider? You need to find a provider with the experience and expertise to meet your budget requirements. It’s also vital for them to deliver results in the timeframe specified by you or your organization. This article will walk you through evaluating penetration testing providers to make an informed decision.
What is Penetration Testing?
One of the best ways to test application or network security is penetration testing. It is the process of simulating attacks against a target system, application, or network infrastructure to find vulnerabilities. The goal is to expose any potential security holes and fix them before a real attack happens. Penetration tests simulate attackers’ actions by using tools such as vulnerability scanners and exploitation frameworks.
Penetration test results are often used in business cases to justify the need for additional security measures or as evidence in litigation cases.
Why Do You Need Penetration Testing?
Penetration testing is a core element of an overall information security program that identifies and mitigates vulnerabilities before attackers exploit them. It is also used in compliance efforts, such as PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard), GLBA (Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act), and HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).
Some key benefits to penetration testing:
- Find and fix vulnerabilities before they take advantage of
- Mitigate potential damage from a successful attack
- Comply with compliance regulations
- Test how effective current security measures are
- Meet industry standards
- Attract customers and stay competitive
Why Turn to Penetration Testing Providers?
If you don’t have the in-house skill to conduct a penetration test or simply don’t have the time, then you’ll need to turn to a penetration testing provider. Several firms provide this service, so how do you pick the best one for you?
Six things to consider when evaluating penetration testing providers
- Your organization’s requirements and priorities: Consider what type of penetration testing services you need. Do you want a broad look at your security posture or more detailed assistance finding and repairing flaws? Most providers offer various services, such as vulnerability assessments, ethical hacking, and phishing simulations. You want someone with the right level of expertise to meet your needs.
- Your size and budget: Take into account the size of your organization and how much it is willing to invest in security measures. Individuals can provide penetration testing, a small team, or a large organization. The larger providers may have more services available than the smaller ones, but they also tend to be much more expensive.
- Time constraints: consider how quickly your penetration testing provider will deliver results and interact with you throughout the process. You’ll want someone who can work well within your time constraints and provide regular updates on the status of the penetration test.
- Systems to be tested: Not all penetration testing providers have experience in every type of system. Make sure the benefactor you pick has experience with the systems you need to be tested, such as networks, web applications, and mobile devices.
- Nature of your data: Ensure the provider has experience with penetration testing against sensitive data. Evaluate which assets house the most important data and prioritize them.
- The reputation of the provider: Do your research. Look for reviews on independent websites and other platforms. Read customer testimonials and determine whether customers found the service satisfactory or better.
Top 5 Penetration Testing Service Providers
- Astra Security:
Astra Security is one of the top Vulnerability Assessment and Penetration Testing (VAPT) providers out there. They’ve developed the Astra Pentest solution which has the following features:
- Thorough security audits covering a wide range of devices
- Testing against 2500+ known vulnerabilities
- Penetration testing meets major security standards such as OWASP, SANS, ISO27001, PCI, SOC 2, etc.
- Interactive dashboard with live updates
- Remediation tips based on vulnerability detected
- Cloud deployment
BreachLock is a global ethical hacker and security services provider. They provide an all-inclusive solution to customers looking for complete protection against cyberattacks, data breaches, frauds, and technical support in fixing the issues it finds.
CrowdStrike is a provider of endpoint security solutions. They offer clients visibility into the attack surface and threat landscapes and ensure enterprise-wide compliance by continuously monitoring for threats across endpoints and the network in real-time with their Falcon Host endpoint protection solution.
- Offensive Security:
Offensive Security provides world-class information security training, penetration testing, and research services.
What do they offer?
- Penetration Testing Services
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Wireless Attack Services
- Red Team Operations
TraceSecurity is a provider of cloud-based information security solutions. Their services include vulnerability assessments, penetration tests, and risk management services.
When looking for a penetration testing provider, it’s important to consider the size of your organization, its budget, the systems you need to be tested, and the nature of your data. You’ll also want to make sure the provider has experience with the type of attack vectors you’re most likely to encounter. And finally, don’t forget to do some research on the provider’s reputation.